Follow Ed Baca by Email



You can receive updates directly to your email by entering your email address below.

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Understanding the Importance of Family

August 21 Council Meeting was unusual in that the Mayor and two Council Members were absent. Mayor Pro-tem Almquist informed us that the Mayor was off welcoming his daughter home from her mission. The importance of Family was duly noted on this special occasion for the Pike family.

Having the opportunity to speak to the Mayor earlier in the week I was impressed with the pride the Mayor had for his daughter’s missionary accomplishments while serving in the State of Louisiana. The Mayor was visibly proud of his family and it was gratifying to see that he set family as a priority. The mayor is to speak with his daughter this coming Sunday before Church members.
Council members Arial and Hughes were reported off on assignment on matters not identified. We look forward to hearing the nature and details of their service on behalf of the city.
Today, presented with the absence of half of our elected officials…..And a light Meeting Calendar…..Following on the heels of a week of non-reporting to YOU…..I would like to play catch up by refreshing your memories…..And do so by playing off of the Family Theme I started this article with.  Let us agree that we have a City Family of which we are all a part of and that there are spin offs……Relatives if you will…..City Council Family, City Employee Family, All Denomination Church Family, Stake Family, Ward Family et cetera.  As Families do…..They set around the dinner table and discuss mutual concerns and issues.  In our City Family the discussions take place in Council Meetings, or in Public Newspapers…..Or perhaps Public Television…..You get the idea.  In any event, discussion should be conducted in a civil non-threatening manner. We respect 1st Amendment Rights…..Honoring Freedom of Speech and expression of opinions.  
I have been given the opportunity to express my evaluation on the performance of City Government and Elected Officials by the Publisher of the Senior Sampler. I receive no compensation nor am I obligated to express opinions other than my own based on my observations.
While my understanding of issues and opinions may not be universally shared by everyone within the City Family I have to date felt no forms of censorship. Sure, I get the expected peer pressure from various sources within the community, but I also get the thanks from many of my fellow citizens for discussing issues they feel need to be publicly addressed.
The issues I bring forth for discussion are done without malice towards any individual……Seeking only to enlighten and inform the public and seeking redress of grievances thought to be in the public interest.
My friends, I want you to know that it has been brought to my attention that an individual holding public office has on two occasions contacted the publisher of the Senior Sampler expressing dissatisfaction with the contents of my articles seeking to influence the printing of said articles.
It is my understanding that this individual has been invited to present written testimony on issues of concern to the publisher of the Senior Sampler for public printing. To this date the invitation has gone unanswered. I remain committed to civil and non-threatening discourse for myself and those representing the public press.

Thank you, Ed Baca

No comments:

Post a Comment